[HTS-members] A4 cycleway letter to the Advertiser

Roger roger at worthingtonia.co.uk
Sat Jul 29 08:38:35 BST 2017

Dear Member

The Society raised problems last year over the proposed cycleway along the
A4 through Taplow. There were many objections raised and Bucks County
Council withdrew the proposal for re-evaluation.

We learn that the proposal is returning with essentially no response to the
very real problems raised.

We have written to the Maidenhead Advertiser voicing our concerns. This
letter is attached, together with our original objection.

Since our original objection, Maidenhead (the Royal Borough) have made it
clear that they are not proceeding with the plan. This calls into question
the whole justification for the scheme of connecting Slough and Maidenhead
for cyclists, especially as in Taplow we can already cycle from the Berry
Hill junction to Slough via the Jubilee River on National Cycleways.

Bucks CC claim associated useful traffic improvements will result but any
local will be aware that these will be insignificant. In particular, Bucks
CC did little to work with the Royal Borough to re-align the roundabout at
Maidenhead Bridge, which would actually usefully improve traffic flow
westwards.

Most disturbingly, Bucks CC have so far declined to support a public meeting
to defend any justification to proceed.

Our Bucks CC councillor Dev Dhillon, our South Bucks District councillor
George Sandy, and Taplow Parish Council are all fully engaged with this
concern.

We ask you to write to support the demand for a public meeting with the
leader of Bucks CC (Martin Tett) in attendance.

Should you wish to support this, useful email addresses are:

Martin Tett, Leader BCC:        <mailto:mtett at buckscc.gov.uk>
mtett at buckscc.gov.uk

Mark Shaw: BCC transport     <mailto:markshaw at buckscc.gov.uk>
markshaw at buckscc.gov.uk

Dev Dhillon:                             <mailto:ddhillon at buckscc.gov.uk>
ddhillon at buckscc.gov.uk

George Sandy:
<mailto:cllr.george.sandy at southbucks.gov.uk>
cllr.george.sandy at southbucks.gov.uk

Taplow Parish Council            <mailto:taplow.pc at googlemail.com>
taplow.pc at googlemail.com

Maidenhead advertiser:         <mailto:martint at baylismedia.co.uk>
martint at baylismedia.co.uk

Roger Worthington, Secretary
07787556309

This mail has been sent to you from the Hitcham and Taplow Society. If has
been sent to you in error or you do not wish to receive such communications,
please reply to secretary at taplowsociety.org.uk
<mailto:secretary at taplowsociety.org.uk>  and we will remove you.