[chbot] Arduino for $3! & link for 2.2 inch touch screen

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Wed Oct 29 01:26:26 GMT 2014

Bit of a slow reply...

I built up some kits using Nano's that had to be cheap for a club project a couple of years ago and bought a few of the very cheap ones around the place and wound up going back to the ebay seller I normally get ones with real FTDI's on them at about the $6 USD mark in volumes of 20up.

From memory the cheap Chinese chipset ones just worked on my windows 8 netbook, did not work at all on the mac or windows XP, and were 50/50 on Debian 7.6.  I tried windows 7 in a Virtual box on top of my linux and it magically worked even though plugged directly into a non-virtual win7 the didn't even come up with the 'finding a driver' type messages.

You can however use them via the ICSP connection if you really want a cheap carrier for a ATmega 328, and you don't want to use the USB to re-program it...  So if you're making something in volume sufficient to make the saving worthwhile, but not large enough volume to justify fabbing a board with an SMD micro etc the cheap boards could be an option.

Of course I can't vouch for the quality of the other components on any of the cheap Arduino boards and if you want it to be running in 10yrs time I'd suggest spending a few more bucks and getting 'branded' modules/boards or fabing your own.

Just m2c worth.