[chbot] Laser pointers

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 08:11:43 GMT 2014

On Thursday 13 February 2014 18:54:15 Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Thu 13 Feb 2014 12:39:17 NZDT +1300, Charles Manning wrote:
> > However, getting a firearms license is easy (they even gave me one). If
> > you can't get a firearms license then you are not fit to have a sharp
> > pencil, let alone a laser. A firearms license is really just a
> > certification that you have been checked out as being a reasonably
> > competent and responsible person.
>
> How long ago was that? I haven't checked, but from what I picked up in
> the last 5 years there is significant course work and examination
> involved.

Perhaps you read too much internet. I got my license 2 years ago and I don't
think it has changed since then.

The "course work and examination" is one evening watching a video, listening
to a talk for 30 minutes or so, then doing a multiple choice test.

> > You don't actually have to buy or use any firearms to have one.
>
> Sure, but if you weren't wanting to at least use one occasionally
> there'd be no point in geting one?
>
> > There is absolutely no vetting on an astronomical society or hackerspace.
> > At least with a firearms license the complete morons have been eliminated
>
> Judging by the number of morons shooting trampers (and then run away),
> friends, or similar, the test appears not to be all that foolproof.

This is very much a media beat-up. Look at the stats. Hunting is one of the
safest outdoors pursuits.  Many more people get killed skiing, mountain
biking or falling off furnature in their living room. If you want to make the
world a safer place, ban chairs.

> > and
> > there is then a requirement to keep the laser secured.
>
> Classing a laser as a firearm? Soon some moron will class gpg as
> ammo. Oh, wait...
>
> > I wonder how many people will pay the "astronomical society tax" by going
> > to http://www.rasnz.org.nz/RASNZInfo/Membership/ and paying a few $?
>
> I don't think there'll be too many muppets forking out $75 and involving
> themselves in some paperwork process just to demonstrate their IQ after
> a Friday night pissup.

Nor hobbiests either.

If nothing else this is going to severely cut down on the sources for lasers
and thus drive down accessibility and drive up price.