[chbot] Laser pointers

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Thu Feb 13 05:54:15 GMT 2014

On Thu 13 Feb 2014 12:39:17 NZDT +1300, Charles Manning wrote:

> However, getting a firearms license is easy (they even gave me one). If you
> can't get a firearms license then you are not fit to have a sharp pencil, let
> alone a laser. A firearms license is really just a certification that you
> have been checked out as being a reasonably competent and responsible person.

How long ago was that? I haven't checked, but from what I picked up in
the last 5 years there is significant course work and examination
involved.

> You don't actually have to buy or use any firearms to have one.

Sure, but if you weren't wanting to at least use one occasionally
there'd be no point in geting one?

> There is absolutely no vetting on an astronomical society or hackerspace. At
> least with a firearms license the complete morons have been eliminated

Judging by the number of morons shooting trampers (and then run away),
friends, or similar, the test appears not to be all that foolproof.

> and
> there is then a requirement to keep the laser secured.

Classing a laser as a firearm? Soon some moron will class gpg as
ammo. Oh, wait...

> I wonder how many people will pay the "astronomical society tax" by going to
> http://www.rasnz.org.nz/RASNZInfo/Membership/ and paying a few $?

I don't think there'll be too many muppets forking out $75 and involving
themselves in some paperwork process just to demonstrate their IQ after
a Friday night pissup.