[chbot] Laser pointers

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 23:39:17 GMT 2014

On Thursday 13 February 2014 12:09:33 Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Thu 13 Feb 2014 09:45:24 NZDT +1300, Charles Manning wrote:
> > It would have made a lot more sense to just classify them as firearms and
> > only allow them to be bought/sold/owned under the firearms licensing
> > regime.
>
> Perhaps, but that would leave even fewer people with access to them. It
> is a *lot* easier to join an astronomical society than to obtain a
> firearms license! A hackerspace membership should count as well. There
> may not be a lot of overlap between the groups of those wanting to use
> laser pointers and firearms.

I can see your point that many people might not want to get a firearms
license.

However, getting a firearms license is easy (they even gave me one). If you
can't get a firearms license then you are not fit to have a sharp pencil, let
alone a laser. A firearms license is really just a certification that you
have been checked out as being a reasonably competent and responsible person.
You don't actually have to buy or use any firearms to have one.

There is absolutely no vetting on an astronomical society or hackerspace. At
least with a firearms license the complete morons have been eliminated and
there is then a requirement to keep the laser secured.

I wonder how many people will pay the "astronomical society tax" by going to
http://www.rasnz.org.nz/RASNZInfo/Membership/ and paying a few $?