[mythtvnz] Python 3

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Mar 10 09:14:02 GMT 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 18:17:55 +1300, you wrote:

>Yes, you are probably correct. I was last using mhegepgsnoop-0.6.0.py
>and amended the following lines to clean up the titles:
>
>parser.add_argument('-c', dest='clean_titles', nargs='?', const='All New
>|Movie: |Prime Flicks: |New: ', default=defs.clean_titles,
>
>options.clean_titles = 'All New |Movie: |Prime Flicks: |New: '
>
>Don't know much about python coding, but this cleaned up the titles.
>
>re: what am I using now? I am using the internal MythTV EIT collection
>option. This does collect 7 days now (I think originally it was just now
>and next few programs). The data collected isn't quite as informative
>(it doesn't show for example the type of program beyond for the current
>and next two programs) but for my purposes it 'solved' the problem I had
>with mhegepgsnoop not working for me.

Ok, so the best path forwards is probably to go back to using
mhegepgsnoop.py again, and then add in xmltv-proc-nz processing. Until
a Python 3 version of mhegepgsnoop.py is available, that means running
it with Python 2.  So, to find out if your system still has Python 2
support, run this:

python2 --version

If that works, then Python 2 is installed but not the default and you
just need to change the #! line in mhegepgsnoop.py.

If that does not work, then you should still be able to install Python
2 in parallel with Python 3:

dnf install python2

That worked for me on my Fedora 33 virtual machine.  Then you will
likely need to install several other Python 2 packages (sqlite3, zlib
and difflib at least), and there will probably be more that will be
needed when mhegepgsnoop.py fails to run because they are not present.
Look to see if they are available as system packages first, and if
not, install them with pip:

pip2 install <package name>