[mythtvnz] Python 3

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Mar 10 04:02:00 GMT 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 15:04:01 +1300, you wrote:

>?For whatever reason mhegepgsnoop.py stopped working quite a while ago on my Fedora MythTV system (even with the latest version at the time). I now just get the EPG listing from DVB-T directly. It is for 7+ days. Only thing I can’t do with it is easily edit out words like “Movie:” or “All New” from titles so I need to be bit more careful when setting up recordings where the title may change for the same actual program. For example I have two set up for NCIS: “NCIS” and “All New NCIS”.

It is not unlikely that your Fedora problem happened when they
upgraded their Python to Python 3 and made that the default.  To run
mhegepgsnoop.py after that, you would have to change the first line of
the file (the #! line) to something that ran it using Python 2 instead
of the default Python 3.  The exact format of the #! line needed can
vary depending on the distro, but this might work:

#!/usr/bin/env python2

To fix the problems with "Movie:" and "All New" you need to run
xmltv_proc_nz on the EPG data after it has been collected but before
mythfilldatabase puts it into the database.  If you use the latest
version, this will also provide series/episode numbers for some
channels that put it in the description field.  Or alternatively, you
can do fixes directly in the database by regularly running an SQL
script.  So how exactly are you collecting your EPG now?  Have you
just enabled the internal MythTV EIT collection option?