[mythtvnz] New install Xubuntu 20.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jul 10 12:02:06 BST 2021

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:40:42 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi All
>
>This is  mainly for Stephen.
>
>I am continuing to fine tune my new install and have identified a
>problem with Stephen's Systemctl helper scripts in Xubuntu 20.04.
>
>With the server halt command in BE shutdown/wake up options set as :
>"sudo /usr/local/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff" the BE
>attempts to shutdown after being idle for 300 seconds as per the
>settings dictate . The shutdown gets as far as the Xubuntu splash with
>the rotating indicator then locks up - the rotating indicator freezes.
>
>The only way to escape this is to do a hard reset on the system - magic
>SysRq does not work.
>
>I have tried all the mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh options from the
>terminal and they all work fine.
>
>Reverting the server halt command in BE back to sudo sh -c "mythshutdown
>-- shutdown"   makes everything work normal.
>
>The back end start and stop commands in  Backend Control settings, that
>use mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff don't seem to be a problem (so far)
>
>I'm using ACPI wake up on this system but this shutdown lock up problem
>showed up before I enabled Mythwelcome .
>
>With Mythwelcome enabled and using the default server halt command ,
>everything seems to work fine. Mythwelcome shuts the system down if
>there are no recordings in the near future and starts the system in time
>to record programmes.
>
>The setup I'm using comes from this tutorial:
>http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-mythtv-auto-wakeup
><http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-mythtv-auto-wakeup>
>
>My current system is Mythbuntu 16.04 and does not use the helper scripts
>and does not seem to have any problems.
>

>-Paul

I have never tested my helper scripts with mythwelcome - I do not do
automatic shutdown and wakeup.  My scripts just use the systemd
poweroff command, which is what is normally used for manual shutdowns.
It will not program a wakeup time, as mythwelcome does.

So, first, does running "sudo poweroff" shut down the PC, or does it
show the same problem?

Next, from the same user you run mythfrontend from, try manually
running the helper script:

sudo mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff

If it is set up correctly, that command should work without prompting
for a password.  To make sure it is not needing a password, you need
to run that command straight after a boot before you have done any
sudo commands.

Also, in order for systemd to be able to shut down mythbackend without
a long timeout, you need to have installed my fix for that.  See:

https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/628020

and search for "mythbackendstop.sh".