[mythtvnz] New install Xubuntu 20.04

Paul paulgir at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 04:47:40 BST 2021

Hi All

This is  mainly for Stephen.

I am continuing to fine tune my new install and have identified a
problem with Stephen's Systemctl helper scripts in Xubuntu 20.04.

With the server halt command in BE shutdown/wake up options set as :
"sudo /usr/local/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff" the BE
attempts to shutdown after being idle for 300 seconds as per the
settings dictate . The shutdown gets as far as the Xubuntu splash with
the rotating indicator then locks up - the rotating indicator freezes.

The only way to escape this is to do a hard reset on the system - magic
SysRq does not work.

I have tried all the mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh options from the
terminal and they all work fine.

Reverting the server halt command in BE back to sudo sh -c "mythshutdown
-- shutdown" makes everything work normal.

The back end start and stop commands in  Backend Control settings, that
use mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff don't seem to be a problem (so far)

I'm using ACPI wake up on this system but this shutdown lock up problem
showed up before I enabled Mythwelcome .

With Mythwelcome enabled and using the default server halt command ,
everything seems to work fine. Mythwelcome shuts the system down if
there are no recordings in the near future and starts the system up
again in time to record scheduled programmes.

The setup I'm using comes from this tutorial:
http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-mythtv-auto-wakeup
<http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-mythtv-auto-wakeup>

My current system is Mythbuntu 16.04 and does not use the helper scripts
(I think the install predates them)  and does not seem to have any problems.

-Paul