[mythtvnz] New install Xubuntu 20.04

Paul paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 03:09:50 BST 2021

On 10/07/21 11:02 pm, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:40:42 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> This is  mainly for Stephen.
>>
>> I am continuing to fine tune my new install and have identified a
>> problem with Stephen's Systemctl helper scripts in Xubuntu 20.04.
>>
>> With the server halt command in BE shutdown/wake up options set as :
>> "sudo /usr/local/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff" the BE
>> attempts to shutdown after being idle for 300 seconds as per the
>> settings dictate . The shutdown gets as far as the Xubuntu splash with
>> the rotating indicator then locks up - the rotating indicator freezes.
>>
>> The only way to escape this is to do a hard reset on the system - magic
>> SysRq does not work.
>>
>> I have tried all the mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh options from the
>> terminal and they all work fine.
>>
>> Reverting the server halt command in BE back to sudo sh -c "mythshutdown
>> -- shutdown"   makes everything work normal.
>>
>> The back end start and stop commands in  Backend Control settings, that
>> use mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff don't seem to be a problem (so far)
>>
>> I'm using ACPI wake up on this system but this shutdown lock up problem
>> showed up before I enabled Mythwelcome .
>>
>> With Mythwelcome enabled and using the default server halt command ,
>> everything seems to work fine. Mythwelcome shuts the system down if
>> there are no recordings in the near future and starts the system in time
>> to record programmes.
>>
>> The setup I'm using comes from this tutorial:
>> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-mythtv-auto-wakeup
>> <http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-mythtv-auto-wakeup>
>>
>> My current system is Mythbuntu 16.04 and does not use the helper scripts
>> and does not seem to have any problems.
>>

>> -Paul
> I have never tested my helper scripts with mythwelcome - I do not do
> automatic shutdown and wakeup.  My scripts just use the systemd
> poweroff command, which is what is normally used for manual shutdowns.
> It will not program a wakeup time, as mythwelcome does.
>
> So, first, does running "sudo poweroff" shut down the PC, or does it
> show the same problem?
>
> Next, from the same user you run mythfrontend from, try manually
> running the helper script:
>
> sudo mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff
>
> If it is set up correctly, that command should work without prompting
> for a password.  To make sure it is not needing a password, you need
> to run that command straight after a boot before you have done any
> sudo commands.
>
> Also, in order for systemd to be able to shut down mythbackend without
> a long timeout, you need to have installed my fix for that.  See:
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/628020
>
> and search for "mythbackendstop.sh".

Thanks Stephen

I had installed   mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh but I went through the
procedure again ,setting the permissions.

Also  I put:

SendSIGKILL=yes
TimeoutStopSec=10

in mythtv-backend-override.conf  which I had missed doing

It shuts down without locking up when I use the reboot or shutdown
options from the frontend esc menu.

I have used your mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh commands in Mythwelcome set
up and will do some testing to check that they work.

Cheers

Paul