[mythtvnz] 18.04.1 upgrade and old Nvidia drivers

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Fri Aug 17 03:11:26 BST 2018

Even with newer cards the 4.18 changes to memcopy for closed blob drivers
are making nvidia drivers pretty shitty.

390.77 drivers work with 4.18 kernel ; but I am getting (recoverable)oops
with them.

I was using the short lived branch 396.51 - on 4.15-4.17 trouble-free, but
the 390.77 is the only branch that includes patches for the newer memcopy
changes in upstream at the moment.

As for your older cards ; nouveau + gallium is pretty decent these days; to
the point they often are better than the nvidia drivers. I would suggest
putting the effort in to switch to obiaf ppa + nouveau for these.

-Joel