[mythtvnz] Further advice on set-up

Peter Charlesworth peter at charlesworth.nz
Sun Apr 23 00:34:39 BST 2017

Dear All,

Having now progressed some distance down the path of my MythTV set-up, I
have reached a couple of impasses, and would appreciate some further advice.

1.	I have successfully "reconfigured" an old computer, keeping the
original 500GB hard drive, but installing new motherboard, CPU, SSD and 3TB
HD.  I have downloaded Ubuntu, now booting from the SSD, and have
successfully partitioned the hard drives. Following the instructions on the
MythTV wiki, I have downloaded the "MythTV Backend Master" package, since I
wish to use this computer as a separate backend, and this process seemed to
complete without any problems.  However, when I attempt to follow the next
instructions for "Configuring MythTV" and "MythTV backend setup" (via either
the terminal or the Display Manager) the process fails.  The instructions
say that I will be prompted for Country and Language, but this does not
happen, and I cannot see how to proceed further.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to advance my situation here?

2.	I am trying to decide what device to use for a Frontend.  Wade has
shown me his use of a MacMini, which is very elegant and powerful.  However,
I have also read of people using a Raspberry Pi, and note that the following
pack with wireless keyboard is available very economically at PB Tech:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SEVRBP0107/Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-Official-
Starter-Black-Kit

        Would anyone with experience with Raspberry Pi as a frontend be able
to advise me about the pros and cons.  Any other suggestions of options for
a frontend would also be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter