[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 30 12:16:31 BST 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 12:07:30 +1200, you wrote:

>> I think I know why systemd was timing out waiting for the /dev/dvb
>> devices.  It seems I forgot to tell you about creating an
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules file:
>>
>> #
>> # Create systemd device units for capture devices
>> #
>> SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", TAG+="systemd"
>> SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", TAG+="systemd"
>> SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", TAG+="systemd"
>>
>> What that does is to make udev send systemd messages when those
>> devices are created.  Without it, systemd never received any messages
>> to tell it the devices were ready, hence the timeout.  I think I must
>> have created that file a while ago, so when I was working out how to
>> get systemd to wait for the DVB devices, I completely forgot it was
>> needed.  I really think that file should be installed automatically by
>> the MythTV packages.  Like the other files in that directory, it needs
>> to be chown root:root and chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r.
>>
>> With those changes, systemd should be able to bring up mythbackend
>> only after both the HVR-2200 and HDHR tuners are available.
>>
>> From the logs, I am pretty sure that the second firmware file for the
>> HVR-2200 tuners (dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw) is only loaded after
>> mythbackend sends them a tuning command for the first time, so there
>> is no need to wait for that firmware to be loaded.  Doing the firmware
>> load means that the first tuning of the HVR-2200 tuners will likely
>> take a bit longer - it is possible that mythbackend may timeout
>> waiting for a response from the tuner and that may be why it seems to
>> try those tuners several times as it starts up:
>>
>> Aug 14 10:09:53 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>> Aug 14 10:09:58 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>> Aug 14 10:09:59 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>> Aug 14 10:10:00 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>> Aug 14 10:10:02 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>> Aug 14 10:10:03 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
>> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
>> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
>> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
>>
>> That looks a bit worrying compared to what I see with my /dev/dvb
> [...]

Excellent!  Now I will have to start moving to 16.04 too.  But before
I do that, I am trying to get a new way of doing my Sky decryption
working, using supported software now that ffdecsawrapper has lost its
support, and that is taking quite a while.  I can move my mother's
Myth box and my laptop to 16.04 before then though.  They are all on
0.28 already.