[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 01:07:30 BST 2016

>>> BTW My test PC is down for a few days - my mother's MythTV box power
>>> supply fan suddenly became very noisy, so I had to use my spare power
>>> supply from the test PC to keep her MythTV going until we can get a
>>> new power supply for it.  So I am unable to do any testing with 16.04
>>> at the moment.
>
> I think I know why systemd was timing out waiting for the /dev/dvb
> devices.  It seems I forgot to tell you about creating an
> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules file:
>
> #
> # Create systemd device units for capture devices
> #
> SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", TAG+="systemd"
> SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", TAG+="systemd"
> SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", TAG+="systemd"
>
> What that does is to make udev send systemd messages when those
> devices are created.  Without it, systemd never received any messages
> to tell it the devices were ready, hence the timeout.  I think I must
> have created that file a while ago, so when I was working out how to
> get systemd to wait for the DVB devices, I completely forgot it was
> needed.  I really think that file should be installed automatically by
> the MythTV packages.  Like the other files in that directory, it needs
> to be chown root:root and chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r.
>
> With those changes, systemd should be able to bring up mythbackend
> only after both the HVR-2200 and HDHR tuners are available.
>
> From the logs, I am pretty sure that the second firmware file for the
> HVR-2200 tuners (dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw) is only loaded after
> mythbackend sends them a tuning command for the first time, so there
> is no need to wait for that firmware to be loaded.  Doing the firmware
> load means that the first tuning of the HVR-2200 tuners will likely
> take a bit longer - it is possible that mythbackend may timeout
> waiting for a response from the tuner and that may be why it seems to
> try those tuners several times as it starts up:
>
> Aug 14 10:09:53 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:09:58 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:09:59 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:10:00 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> 1000ms. Delaying by 1000ms
> Aug 14 10:10:02 mythpc mythbackend: mythbackend[3168]: I CoreContext
> recorders/dvbchannel.cpp:712 (Tune)
> DVBChan[3](/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Next tuning after less than
> [...]
Good news.I got 16.04.1 set up yesterday and instituted your suggested
changes to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mythbackend.rules.I briefly tested it
before getting a callout.Today I tested it further: it boots in around 50
secs HVR-2200 and HDHR tuners all work.
I'm just starting to get Myth Welcome set up.
Many thanks for all the assistance. :)