[mythtvnz] Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Mon Aug 1 11:05:10 BST 2016

On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 20:03 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> I am not a packaging guru, but I thought that dpkg was so low level
> it
> did not check for dependencies - you need to use apt or apt-get or
> aptitude for that.  If the packages are built with the right
> dependencies, then they may automatically force the removal of the
> 0.27 packages, but probably only if you use apt-get dist-upgrade.

Yes and no.

dpkg will check for dependencies, but won't install them for you. It
just tries to install the .deb that you specify, and doesn't know how
to fetch other .deb's.

If the packages have the same names, they'll replace the 0.27 packages.
If there are packages which are no longer required for 0.28, and the
packages have been built sanely and conflict with the old packages,
then they'll be removed. But it depends on where the 0.27 packages came
from.

dist-upgrade is a slightly different beast.

Pretty easy to find any old packages and remove them. Something like:

dpkg -l | grep ^ii | grep 0.27

And eyeballing the output would work.

> Maybe you need to somehow set up your own local PPA repository and
> set
> up a .list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d so point to it using a
> file:/// type URL.  Or put it on your MythTV web server under
> /var/www
> somewhere (eg /var/www/mythtv-0.28-fixes) and access it using a local

This would allow using apt-get which then simplifies the installation
process, and would also allow them to be easily installed on other
computers in the network.

This is more or less what I do.

Cheers,
Andrew