[mythtvnz] Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Mon Aug 1 11:00:15 BST 2016

Hey,

On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 19:28 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
> I suppose I could just wildly use "dpkg -i" on all the files except
> that
> some are duplicates depending on the type of install and there is no
> indication on whether i have to manually un-install 0.27 first.

I suspect that this is what the wiki page intends. Do you need to
uninstall 0.27 first? Depends on how you installed 0.27. You'd
typically have to run:

 dpkg -i <list all the .debs that you need to install>

Why the long list? Because various packages you've built will depend on
some of the other packages you've built.

Then play whack-a-mole on the dependencies as dpkg won't install the
dependencies if they're missing. It'll just refuse to install the .deb.
This is where apt-get comes in...

> I tried copying them all the "/var/cache/apt/archive" and running
> "dpkg -i mythtv_0.28.0+fixes.20160728.e5ce273-0ubuntu3_all.deb"
> which is (apparently) the top level file,  followed by
> "apt-get -f install"
> but none of the dependencies were installed (it didn't even look for
> them!!)

dpkg -i won't look any files in /var/cache/apt/archive, only apt-get
will look in there.  But this directory is merely a cache of packages
that have been downloaded form Debian repositories. apt-get will only
look for files that it knows about - those that exist in repositories.
But as Stephen points on his reply, as the packages aren't in a
repository...

> Has anyone done this and managed to use standard command line (or
> even
> gui!) stuff to do an upgrade that is not coming from a 'net located
> repository?

You'll have to do what I say way up at the top of the email...

Another option is that you use the deb-multimedia repository which has
MythTV packages for Debian all ready and go. Add this line to
/etc/apt/sources.list (or make a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d
).

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie main non-free

Then run:

apt-get update
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
apt-get install mythtv

You can also install either mythtv-frontend or mythtv-backend (or
both!).

I used the packages here for ages, then I had to do some custom builds
of MythTV due to running a Via Epia frontend, I put all of them into my
personal .deb repository to ease installation. But I expect to switch
back to deb-multimedia in the nearish future, once I can upgrade from
0.24...

Cheers,
Andrew

--