[mythtvnz] Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Aug 1 09:03:30 BST 2016

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 19:28:28 +1200, you wrote:

>So I've followed the instructions at
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
>and it has built all the packages very nicely. However, the instructions
>on actually installing all the deb files is totally lacking.
>
>I suppose I could just wildly use "dpkg -i" on all the files except that
>some are duplicates depending on the type of install and there is no
>indication on whether i have to manually un-install 0.27 first.
>
>I tried copying them all the "/var/cache/apt/archive" and running
>"dpkg -i mythtv_0.28.0+fixes.20160728.e5ce273-0ubuntu3_all.deb"
>which is (apparently) the top level file,  followed by
>"apt-get -f install"
>but none of the dependencies were installed (it didn't even look for them!!)
>
>Has anyone done this and managed to use standard command line (or even
>gui!) stuff to do an upgrade that is not coming from a 'net located
>repository?
>
>Cheers

I am not a packaging guru, but I thought that dpkg was so low level it
did not check for dependencies - you need to use apt or apt-get or
aptitude for that.  If the packages are built with the right
dependencies, then they may automatically force the removal of the
0.27 packages, but probably only if you use apt-get dist-upgrade.

Maybe you need to somehow set up your own local PPA repository and set
up a .list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d so point to it using a
file:/// type URL.  Or put it on your MythTV web server under /var/www
somewhere (eg /var/www/mythtv-0.28-fixes) and access it using a local