[mythtvnz] dvb-s usb

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:05:56 BST 2016

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM, Michael West <michael at iposs.co.nz> wrote:

> On 24/04/16 19:24, Jason Taylor wrote:
>
> I have a a couple of dvb-s pci cards already and a usb dvb-t that I was
> using, just moved house and the roof only has a sky dish so I was thinking
> a cheap dvb-s usb would be the easier option, really only getting setup for
> the Olympics, It may just work out better to pay for a month of fanpass
> anyway
>

> I would try to avoid DVB-S if possible as DVB-T is better in most ways.  I
> would check how close your new location is to the local DVB-T transmit
> tower and if you have good line of site.  Many areas have very good
> coverage and you can get a good DVB-T signal without requiring a perfect
> UHF antenna.  Getting one installed professionally on the roof is obviously
> the optimum solution but it can be a bit expensive if it’s not needed long
> term.  You can get indoor antenna but these often are not directional
> enough and while they may work sometimes they may also get too much
> interference and you lose recordings.  You can get an outdoor directional
> antenna and place it anywhere inside your house as long as it is rotated
> and orientated in the same direction as your neighbours ones and it will
> work well (but have very low WAF).  You can also place them in the
> attic/roof space and they will work though many roof surface types
> (metal=worse) and this avoids having to drill holes through the exterior
> walls to run the cable.  If you are not in a good coverage area then the
> only good option is a suitable outdoor antenna mounted on a good pole.

freeviewnz.tv has the ability to put your address is and find if you should
be able to get terrestrial coverage.
http://www.freeviewnz.tv/get-freeview/get-freeview/

Unfortunately the house I just bought doesn't seem to have terrestrial as
the best option, but it does have a larger tv antenna so I guess I'l find
out when we move in.