[mythtvnz] dvb-s usb

Michael West michael at iposs.co.nz
Sun Apr 24 10:54:48 BST 2016

On 24/04/16 19:24, Jason Taylor wrote:

I have a a couple of dvb-s pci cards already and a usb dvb-t that I was
using, just moved house and the roof only has a sky dish so I was thinking
a cheap dvb-s usb would be the easier option, really only getting setup for
the Olympics, It may just work out better to pay for a month of fanpass
anyway

I would try to avoid DVB-S if possible as DVB-T is better in most ways.  I
would check how close your new location is to the local DVB-T transmit
tower and if you have good line of site.  Many areas have very good
coverage and you can get a good DVB-T signal without requiring a perfect
UHF antenna.  Getting one installed professionally on the roof is obviously
the optimum solution but it can be a bit expensive if it’s not needed long
term.  You can get indoor antenna but these often are not directional
enough and while they may work sometimes they may also get too much
interference and you lose recordings.  You can get an outdoor directional
antenna and place it anywhere inside your house as long as it is rotated
and orientated in the same direction as your neighbours ones and it will
work well (but have very low WAF).  You can also place them in the
attic/roof space and they will work though many roof surface types
(metal=worse) and this avoids having to drill holes through the exterior
walls to run the cable.  If you are not in a good coverage area then the
only good option is a suitable outdoor antenna mounted on a good pole.