[mythtvnz] recommendations for front end...

Don Robertson don at robertson.net.nz
Wed Jan 7 01:16:26 GMT 2015

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:26:06 Kenneth Dixon wrote:

> There are a lot of android devices out which will work as a MythTV frontend
> if combined with Kodi <http://kodi.tv/> (XBMC) and the the cmyth PVR plugin:
> http://www.dx.com/s/google+tv
> I haven't tried it with one of these stand alone boxes, but works fine with
> a tablet + HDMI out.
>
> You also get the native Netflix app.
>
> Ken.

Since you mention Android, I'll ask. I have not really had a good google on
this - so sorry if it is obvious.

I have tried several things to play my MythTV recordings on a Samsung tablet,
but none work. I always get a error something like 'Sorry, this format cannot
be played'. The only thing that seems to play the videos is VLC.

I did have a go at finding out more - and it could be that Samsung has
restricted the formats the device can play.

So just wondering if you have set MythTV up to record in an Android friendly
format, if Kodi is transcoding for Android, or if I should have got something
other than a Samsung device? I could not find codec to install for the tablet,
either.

Finally - are you using an Android app to play the videos, or a uPnP client?

Cheers,
Don