[mythtvnz] recommendations for front end...

Kenneth Dixon kenneth.b.dixon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 02:06:24 GMT 2015

Hi Don, Yeah I have heard of issues with playing videos on Samsung devices,
but don't know the details as I don't have one. Using a third party app
such as Kodi might avoid the issue.

So MythTV just does a standard recording, which is h.264 encoding for
DVB-T.
The cmyth plugin uses the MythTV API to cache recorded show details opens a
stream that the Android version of Kodi (XBMC) plays. I don't know the
details, but there might be some on-the-fly scaling done on the MythTV side.

Your best best bet is just try it, I don't think it's on the play store
yet, so here is a link:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/kodi-14.0-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk
Just open using your tablet, allow unauthorised sources and install.
Once installed, go to plugin section and enable cmyth under the PVR lugins
section. Here are some instructions:
http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR/Backend/MythTV

Good luck, let us know how it goes.