[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jun 19 11:22:37 BST 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:41:39 +1200, you wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:21:04 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>My MythTV woes continue.
>>
>>Now after some indeterminate length of time (less than 24 hours)
>>recordings stop.  In the logs there is no sign of them.
>>
>>After a reboot recordings happen as usual.
>>
>>I can find no sign of errors in mysql logs.
>>
>>How can I start to diagnose the problem?
>
>If you look at the Upcoming Recordings list, are your recordings still
>there?  What does mythbackend.log actually show around the time of the
>a scheduled recording that did not happen?  If you shut down
>mythbackend after recordings have failed ("stop mythtv-backend"), does
>the log show anything then?  Does it shut down cleanly?  Is your
>database OK - is anything reported in the daily email from the
>/etc/cron.daily/optimize_mythdb run?  If you are not set up to receive
>those emails, try running that command manually from a root prompt or
>sudo.
>
>To get more relevant data logged, you should probably add the "-v
>record" option to the end of the line in /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf
>that runs mythbackend.  Then do the command "restart mythtv-backend"
>(not while recording, obviously).
>
>Are all your tuners working?  Go to WatchTV, then use the M -> Source
>-> Switch Input menu to change to one multirec tuner from each of your
>physical tuners and make sure each tuner is working.

One more thing to check - is the partition with your database on it
full?  Do you have a runaway log file?  That can may mythbackend do
exactly as you are describing, although I do not see why rebooting
would free up enough space in that case - maybe there is a runaway
file in /tmp as that gets deleted on reboot.