[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Adam Bennetts abennetts at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:40:01 BST 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:41:39 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:21:04 +1200, you wrote:
> >
> >>My MythTV woes continue.
> >>
> >>Now after some indeterminate length of time (less than 24 hours)
> >>recordings stop.  In the logs there is no sign of them.
> >>
> >>After a reboot recordings happen as usual.
> >>
> >>I can find no sign of errors in mysql logs.
> >>
> >>How can I start to diagnose the problem?
> >
> >If you look at the Upcoming Recordings list, are your recordings still
> >there?  What does mythbackend.log actually show around the time of the
> >a scheduled recording that did not happen?  If you shut down
> >mythbackend after recordings have failed ("stop mythtv-backend"), does
> >the log show anything then?  Does it shut down cleanly?  Is your
> >database OK - is anything reported in the daily email from the
> >/etc/cron.daily/optimize_mythdb run?  If you are not set up to receive
> >those emails, try running that command manually from a root prompt or
> >sudo.
> >
> >To get more relevant data logged, you should probably add the "-v
> >record" option to the end of the line in /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf
> >that runs mythbackend.  Then do the command "restart mythtv-backend"
> >(not while recording, obviously).
> >
> >Are all your tuners working?  Go to WatchTV, then use the M -> Source
> >-> Switch Input menu to change to one multirec tuner from each of your
> >physical tuners and make sure each tuner is working.
>
> One more thing to check - is the partition with your database on it
> full?  Do you have a runaway log file?  That can may mythbackend do
> exactly as you are describing, although I do not see why rebooting
> would free up enough space in that case - maybe there is a runaway
> file in /tmp as that gets deleted on reboot.

Not sure if this still happens in the latest version (I'm still on
0.25.something), but another possibility is if a drive a storage group
uses was accessible when the backend starts but becomes inaccessible
some time after. Doesn't have to be an active storage group either. I
added an 'old' storage group to that accessed a share on a NAS. If the
NAS was initially visible to Myth but disappears (e.g. I turned it
off) recordings after the drive disappeared failed even though the
'old' storage group is never recorded directly to. I can't recall
whether the failure was logged.