[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jun 19 08:41:39 BST 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:21:04 +1200, you wrote:

>My MythTV woes continue.
>
>Now after some indeterminate length of time (less than 24 hours)
>recordings stop.  In the logs there is no sign of them.
>
>After a reboot recordings happen as usual.
>
>I can find no sign of errors in mysql logs.
>
>How can I start to diagnose the problem?

If you look at the Upcoming Recordings list, are your recordings still
there?  What does mythbackend.log actually show around the time of the
a scheduled recording that did not happen?  If you shut down
mythbackend after recordings have failed ("stop mythtv-backend"), does
the log show anything then?  Does it shut down cleanly?  Is your
database OK - is anything reported in the daily email from the
/etc/cron.daily/optimize_mythdb run?  If you are not set up to receive
those emails, try running that command manually from a root prompt or
sudo.

To get more relevant data logged, you should probably add the "-v
record" option to the end of the line in /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf
that runs mythbackend.  Then do the command "restart mythtv-backend"
(not while recording, obviously).

Are all your tuners working?  Go to WatchTV, then use the M -> Source
-> Switch Input menu to change to one multirec tuner from each of your
physical tuners and make sure each tuner is working.