[mythtvnz] Pixelation/Corrupt recordings

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 01:21:31 BST 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Aaron Pelly <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz>
wrote:

> On 07/07/14 11:23, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>> If it's not consistently happening with simultaneous recordings it's
>> probably not a throughput issue. You could try recording say 6 things at
>> once to test this.
>>
> You made me watch some Home and Away. Damn you!
>
> Inconclusive results. iotop shows about 2MB/sec to two storage groups.
> gnome-system-monitor shows mythbackend and mount.ntfs both ranging from 3
> to 6% CPU. Both cpus running about 15-20%
> some recordings OK. Some show corruption. Corrupt shows are on Sommet and
> Prime. This is not always the case.

Probably not a HD or RAM bottleneck if they're not all corrupt. Maybe do
some testing with commercial detection off in case that is corrupting them
somehow. Might also be worth looking into whether one tuner in particular
is the source of corrupt recordings.

> Interesting backend log entry:
> 11:55:39 zeus mythbackend: mythbackend[2503]: W DeviceReadBuffer
> recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll) DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend1):
> Poll took an unusually long time 2547 ms
>
> Last 2000 lines of the backend log:
> cat /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | tail -2000 | pastebinit
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7757924/
>
> I'll investigate that log entry further.

Have a look at the kernel log too.

Cheers,