[mythtvnz] Pixelation/Corrupt recordings

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Mon Jul 7 02:19:23 BST 2014

On 07/07/14 12:21, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Aaron Pelly
> <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz <mailto:apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/07/14 11:23, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>         If it's not consistently happening with simultaneous
>         recordings it's probably not a throughput issue. You could try
>         recording say 6 things at once to test this.
>
>     You made me watch some Home and Away. Damn you!
>
>     Inconclusive results. iotop shows about 2MB/sec to two storage groups.
>     gnome-system-monitor shows mythbackend and mount.ntfs both ranging
>     from 3 to 6% CPU. Both cpus running about 15-20%
>     some recordings OK. Some show corruption. Corrupt shows are on
>     Sommet and Prime. This is not always the case.
>

> Probably not a HD or RAM bottleneck if they're not all corrupt.
Yes, and IO looks trivial.

> Maybe do some testing with commercial detection off in case that is
> corrupting them somehow.
Can do. Surely it doesn't run for live tv though?

> Might also be worth looking into whether one tuner in particular is
> the source of corrupt recordings.
Do you know if the tuner that was used stored in the DB anywhere? Might
save me some time.

>     Interesting backend log entry:
>     11:55:39 zeus mythbackend: mythbackend[2503]: W DeviceReadBuffer
>     recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll)
>     DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend1): Poll took an unusually long
>     time 2547 ms
>
>     Last 2000 lines of the backend log:
>     cat /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | tail -2000 | pastebinit
>     http://paste.ubuntu.com/7757924/
>
>     I'll investigate that log entry further.

Makes me wonder if I should try different firmware. Cant remember where
I got the current version from. Probably via the linux tv wiki. I recall
there were multiple versions.

> Have a look at the kernel log too.
Nothing shows up around the time I tested multiple recordings.