[mythtvnz] Gnome3, Mythfrontend and xbmc

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 01:10:55 BST 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Demian Dixon <d at coretech.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been running xbmc as an alternative frontend to mythtv for a couple
> of days.  I am having a little problem with switching between mythfrontend
> and xbmc..
>
> Normally the machine boots, mythwelcome runs and then I launch mythfrontend.
> I added a new menu item for xbmc and launch that from mythfrontend.   All
> good but when I try and exit xbmc I get returned to the Gnome desktop
> instead of mythfrontend.  I have to ALT-TAB to get to mythfrontend.
>
> Any possible solutions?   I guess I don't really need to run Gnome as I only
> occasionally drop to a shell and launch Chrome as it seems to have better
> support for some streaming sports events..
>
> This is all on Fedora 19 so it is Gnome 3.8

I start XBMC in exactly the same fashion, except I am using mythbuntu,
which uses XFCE rather than Gnome.

So I expect Gnome3 is in fact the problem, or perhaps the line you use
in the myth menu to start it.

What is the line you use? There are I think two ways of starting an
external programme in a mythtv menu.

Sorry to be a little vague, I don't have access to the home machines from work.