[mythtvnz] Gnome3, Mythfrontend and xbmc

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 04:58:13 BST 2014

Sounds like a gnome3 issue thats exactlly what I do on mythbunty (xfce) and
it works perfectly

In a perfect world mythtv would announce xbmc is the new supported frontend
and work on improving the epg there ;)

On 30 April 2014 12:10, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Demian Dixon <d at coretech.co.nz> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been running xbmc as an alternative frontend to mythtv for a
> couple
> > of days.  I am having a little problem with switching between
> mythfrontend
> > and xbmc..
> >
> > Normally the machine boots, mythwelcome runs and then I launch
> mythfrontend.
> > I added a new menu item for xbmc and launch that from mythfrontend.   All
> > good but when I try and exit xbmc I get returned to the Gnome desktop
> > instead of mythfrontend.  I have to ALT-TAB to get to mythfrontend.
> >
> > Any possible solutions?   I guess I don't really need to run Gnome as I
> only
> > occasionally drop to a shell and launch Chrome as it seems to have better
> > support for some streaming sports events..
> >
> > This is all on Fedora 19 so it is Gnome 3.8
>
> I start XBMC in exactly the same fashion, except I am using mythbuntu,
> which uses XFCE rather than Gnome.
>
> So I expect Gnome3 is in fact the problem, or perhaps the line you use
> in the myth menu to start it.
>
> What is the line you use? There are I think two ways of starting an
> external programme in a mythtv menu.
>
> Sorry to be a little vague, I don't have access to the home machines from
> work.
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > Demian

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin