[mythtvnz] Reinstall Follow-up - WAS: Upgrade/Reinstall tips

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 01:50:54 BST 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Rob Connolly <rob at webworxshop.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Having reinstalled and moved over to XBMC for the front end successfully
> I thought I'd share my experiences for anyone else who's interested.
>
> The reinstall and configuration of Myth was pretty easy, but as was
> mentioned here it did take me pretty much a full day to get back to my
> previous setup. That said I did find it much easier than the first time
> around (having all the config files and some notes really helped).
>
> The only issue I did run into was installing Mythweb from the
> deb-multimedia
> repo. The package failed to install due to the post-install script
> failing. I ended up downloading the source package and editing the
> script to remove that line (it was a sed command). This enabled the
> resulting package to install but I had to configure it by hand. I
> suspect this was caused by db-config generating a database password with
> a / in it, which the sed line didn't like. I haven't confirmed this yet,
> but when I do I'll post a bug.
>
> Having got myth working I spent the rest of my time playing around with
> XBMC. I have to say the interface is definately a one-up on
> Mythfrontend. I managed to get the PVR integration working pretty
> painlessly, though I later found that the recordings list would never
> update. The solution to this was to compile the latest cmyth plugin from
> source, which was reasonably easy.

What version of mythtv are you running for the backend?

I have been running mythbuntu 12.04 plus XBMC frodo-xvba for some time now.
I start XBMC from a mythfrontend menu item. I initially did this for ripped
movies/tv as it has far better metadata handling and addons than mythtv.
However the myth pvr stuff is now actually working quite well and I have
been doing a bit of TV watching on it too. Running successfully against
myth 0.27.

> The whole thing has been running well now for a couple of weeks. I'm
> still learning my way around XBMC (playing a ripped DVD directory
> stumped me on Friday until I googled it). There are still a few issues.
> XBMC seems a little more crashy than Mythfrontend, which is annoying but
> not terrible. Also, it doesn't seem to deal with watching recordings in
> progress as well (it works, but the length counter doesn't advance
> correctly, which can be confusing). Hopefully these issues will be fixed
> as time goes on.
>
> One other thing was the NZ Ondemand plugin. I briefly looked at this,
> but wasn't able to get any TVNZ shows to show up, even though it appears
> to support it (i.e. there is a settings page for TVNZ in the
> configuration). Has anyone tried this plugin and run into the same
> problem?

The plugin simply doesn't work and does not get any love - no commits to
git for 7 months when I looked a couple of days ago. You could try the git
master version https://github.com/markhoney/plugin.video.nz.ondemand