[mythtvnz] Reinstall Follow-up - WAS: Upgrade/Reinstall tips

Rob Connolly rob at webworxshop.com
Sat Oct 12 23:29:17 BST 2013

Hi All,

Having reinstalled and moved over to XBMC for the front end successfully
I thought I'd share my experiences for anyone else who's interested.

The reinstall and configuration of Myth was pretty easy, but as was
mentioned here it did take me pretty much a full day to get back to my
previous setup. That said I did find it much easier than the first time
around (having all the config files and some notes really helped).

The only issue I did run into was installing Mythweb from the deb-multimedia
repo. The package failed to install due to the post-install script
failing. I ended up downloading the source package and editing the
script to remove that line (it was a sed command). This enabled the
resulting package to install but I had to configure it by hand. I
suspect this was caused by db-config generating a database password with
a / in it, which the sed line didn't like. I haven't confirmed this yet,
but when I do I'll post a bug.

Having got myth working I spent the rest of my time playing around with
XBMC. I have to say the interface is definately a one-up on
Mythfrontend. I managed to get the PVR integration working pretty
painlessly, though I later found that the recordings list would never
update. The solution to this was to compile the latest cmyth plugin from
source, which was reasonably easy.

The whole thing has been running well now for a couple of weeks. I'm
still learning my way around XBMC (playing a ripped DVD directory
stumped me on Friday until I googled it). There are still a few issues.
XBMC seems a little more crashy than Mythfrontend, which is annoying but
not terrible. Also, it doesn't seem to deal with watching recordings in
progress as well (it works, but the length counter doesn't advance
correctly, which can be confusing). Hopefully these issues will be fixed
as time goes on.

One other thing was the NZ Ondemand plugin. I briefly looked at this,
but wasn't able to get any TVNZ shows to show up, even though it appears
to support it (i.e. there is a settings page for TVNZ in the
configuration). Has anyone tried this plugin and run into the same
problem?

Cheers,

Rob