[mythtvnz] new install of 0.27

Mark van Dijk mark.van.dijk.74 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 21:33:39 BST 2013

Hi all, just thought i'd share my results from an upgrade this weekend.

Hardware:  old machine:  slow AMD 64-bit single core cpu, 1GB RAM, nVidia
GT220, HVR-2200, 5.5TB disk.
Software:  Mythbuntu 10.10, MythTv 0.23 using VDPAU with 2x deinterlacer
Issues:  not much.  mostly seemed to work fine.  Wife+kids were pretty
happy with it.  5.1 audio out (s/pdif) was a bit iffy.  After power-cycle I
would generally have to play for 15 mins or so to get sound working again.
Audio sync was out by 50ms when i first installed, and this value got
larger and larger over time.  Is now about 350ms.  Means that EVERY SINGLE
time i watch a show, i have to adjust the audio sync.  Otherwise, all
good.  Never lost shows

So this weekend I decided to do a clean upgrade to Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS with
MythTv 0.27.  Things I discovered:

   1. behaviour of 'sudo halt' has changed.  No longer actually powers
   machine off!?  Need to do 'sudo poweroff' instead.
   2. Don't use the GUI 'update mananger'.  Some apps (samba) are trying to
   get some user input from the console, and this freezes the update.  Do all
   updates from command line with 'sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'
   3. 5.1 audio output works perfectly!  updated frontend audio config
   screen with new 'test' button makes things very easy.
   4. the 'irw' command is very useful to see what is going on with lirc
   remote commands.
   5. My favourite ArcLight theme doesn't appear to be officially supported.
   6. I seem to be getting a few 'system error detected' pop-ups.  This
   never happened previously...
   7. MythFrontend | Setup | Appearance  -  I can see the first few
   screens, however after the LCD config screen, i get booted back out to the
   main menu.  something not right here...
   8. I suspect that i'm running very low on memory.  MythFrontend has been
   forcibly restarted a couple of times, with an error box mentioning that
   there was not enough memory to create an incident report (or something to
   that effect).  I'll try and find some old DDR1 mem to put into this machine.
   9. Almost all of my first few test recordings were perfect, however a
   couple ended up unwatchable due to extremely bad MPEG artifacts.  these
   artifacts are in the recording itself (i.e. not a playback issue).  This
   could have been due to a hanging frontend that was going on at the time -
   will keep an eye on it.