[mythtvnz] Anyone know of a guide for HDHomeRun Dual

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Oct 6 13:19:55 BST 2013

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 21:54:42 +1300, you wrote:

>>> I am installing a new homerun dual and it looked quite simple but it's
>not recording anything but if I connect from my PC it works fine.
>
>>> Just wondering if anyone knows of a good guide. I am using 0.25.3 on
>Fedora 16.
>
>>> Cheers
>
>>Just follow through mythtv setup in order.
>

>Perhaps there is a couple of things I should add.
>

>I have a working MythTV with 2 Nova S Plus cards and I am trying to add the
>HomeRun Dual with this
>

>It seems that if I have two satellite cards it's fine no probs because they
>are the same. But if I have a satellite and terrestrial then there doesn't
>seem to be anyway to say record all James Bond on HD but record Fireman Sam
>on satellite ? The problem seems to stem from the fact that the results of
>the EPG is exactly the same for both in good old NZ.
>

>Also I have set up a separate video source for the HomeRun, not sure if I
>should, however should I still set channel frequency table to  New Zealand -
>can it differentiate be satellite channels and terrestrial channels ?

I think the channel frequency table may be for analogue only, unless
it is something in the HDHomeRun setup.  The one in MythTV setup is
only used for analogue.

Since there are different channels for DVB-S and DVB-T, you do need to
have two different sources set up.

Since the DVB-T recordings will be of higher quality than the DVB-S
ones where the channels are the same, you need to set up the order the
scheduler picks tuners to have the DVB-T ones first, then the DVB-S
ones.  With only two DVB-T tuners and three DVB-T multiplexes, you
still can get clashes for their use, so you do still need to have the
DVB-S tuners available for the channels available on DVB-T.  If you
had three DVB-T tuners, you could delete all the channels available on
DVB-T from the DVB-S tuners.

There are two fields in the cardinput table in the database that
control how the scheduler assigns tuners.  The first is schedorder,
which specifies the order that the scheduler looks at tuners when
attempting to assign them.  The second is recpriority (recording
priority).  So you need to assign the DVB-T tuners as lower numbers in
the schedorder field than the DVB-S ones, and also give the DVB-S
tuners a lower recpriority value than the DVB-T ones.  I have my DVB-T
tuners as schedorder 1, 5, 9, and recpriority all 4.  My DVB-S tuners
are schedorder 26, 28 and recpriority -5.  To set up those values, you
need to run mythtv-setup - it is quite a while since I did that, so I
do not remember exactly where it is done.  And I now tweak things like
that directly in the database with SQL.

Once you have them set up like that, you can then in the channel table
assign recpriority values also.  As of 0.27, the priorities work as
you expect - they are rather different (and difficult to understand)
in older versions, so I recommend upgrading to 0.27 if you are using
them.  The channel recpriority values tell the scheduler which
channels get first go at the highest priority tuner available, so the
higher priority channels will normally be assigned to the DVB-T
tuners.

Then for each individual recording rule, you again have a recpriority
field, so that as necessary you can make a particular rule of high
enough priority to override the lower priority of the channel it might
be on.  I believe the priorities are all just added together.

There are also some other priority options that depend on things being
flagged in the EPG as HD or SD, for example, which does not happen in
NZ so you can ignore them.

I would recommend making the channels that have HD programming on
DVB-T (TV One, TV2 and TV3) have higher priority than the other
channels, so that they will preferentially record from DVB-T.  DVB-S
recordings are fine for channels that only transmit SD even on DVB-T,
such as Choice and Prime.  The +1 channels should always be lower
priority than their +0 version, otherwise the scheduler may choose to
record an SD version of a program from the +1 channel at busy times,
which is not likely what you wanted.  Where there is the same channel
on DVB-S as DVB-T, the DVB-S version should be lower priority than the
DVB-T one.  So the order should be (highest to lowest priority): DVB-T
+0 channel, DVB-T +1 channel, DVB-S +0 channel, DVB-S +1 channel, with
the DVB-T HD channels higher priority than the DVB-T SD channels.  If
you are not worried about when a program is recorded, you could have
the DVB-S +0 and +1 channels of equal priority as they are both the
same quality.

There is also a livetvorder field in the cardinput table, which
specifies the order that live TV should be assigned tuners.  Some
people prefer to have their lower quality tuners assigned first to
live TV so that if someone is watching live, it will not prevent a
high priority recording from using the DVB-T tuners.  To do that, you
would put the reverse order of the schedorder values in the
livetvorder field.  Other people like me who have three DVB-T tuners
(and hence should never have a clash for their use even when live TV
is in use) assign the livetvorder field with the same values as
schedorder.

Note that the schedorder and livetvorder fields are relatively new -
it is possible they are not in 0.25.  They were not in 0.24.  They are
definitely in 0.26.