[mythtvnz] Anyone know of a guide for HDHomeRun Dual

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 13:09:51 BST 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM, <ajp at cantabrian.co.nz> wrote:

> It seems that if I have two satellite cards it’s fine no probs because
> they are the same. But if I have a satellite and terrestrial then there
> doesn’t seem to be anyway to say record all James Bond on HD but record
> Fireman Sam on satellite ? The problem seems to stem from the fact that the
> results of the EPG is exactly the same for both in good old NZ.

Generally you're supposed to tell MythTV what program you want and it will
go and figure out the best way to record it. Typically you'd set the
priority of HD tuners higher and so they would be preferred. If there is a
conflict and the wrong program is being recorded in HD you can adjust the
programs' priorities to suit. But I don't think there is and easy way to
say "I don't want this recorded in HD even if the HD tuners are free"
(though you can do it with custom recording rules). If your motivation is
to save space then I'd recommend more storage or transcoding.

> ****
>
>  Also I have set up a separate video source for the HomeRun, not sure if I
> should, however should I still set channel frequency table to  New Zealand
> – can it differentiate be satellite channels and terrestrial channels ?

You should have separate video sources because the channel lineups are not
the same. You'd have one source for the two satellite cards and one source
for the HD homerun and any DVB-T cards you have/acquire. The channels that
are on both satellite and terrestrial should have the same callsigns (and
it's simpler if they have the same name and number as well).

Cheers,