[mythtvnz] HTPC Configuration for combined front/back end

Criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Fri Nov 8 05:01:34 GMT 2013

Nick Rout wrote, On 11/08/2013 02:23 PM:

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Alex Marshall <alexmnz at yahoo.com
> <mailto:alexmnz at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Case: Antec New Solution NSK 4000-B II Mid Tower Case, Black/Silver

Does it have space for a crapton of disk drives?  I'm talking 8+ because
you may end up there.

> Hard drive: Western Digital Green WD20EZRX Hard Disk Drive, 2000GB,
> 5400-7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA 6 Gb/s

Good luck with the smelly green drives.  I hear they're "much better"
now which fills me with no confidence.
Many people on this list have suggested a small SSD for OS  and SQL
data, and rotational drives for data storage.  WD RED seem ideal for this.

>     Keyboard:Logitech Desktop MK120 Keyboard & Mouse, USB, Black
>
> I know  keyboards are cheap but you don't need one, or a mouse, except
> with initial setup. Beg or borrow from another PC then disconnect and
> forget.
Agreed.  I manage my backend via remote-X from a normal desktop.

> you forgot a remote, spend US$15 for a sapphire
> http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

I use an old wireless keyboard that works well enough.

>      My questions are as follows:
>     1. This seems quite expensive to watch and record TV how can I cut
>     the cost

Use whatever you already own, rather than buying stuff.

>     2. Was thinking of dropping storage to 1TB as only using PC for
>     one purpose. Is this enough

For now, maybe.  I started with 3x 30GB drives and it was okay "to start
with"

>     3. Do I need a Video card for playback or will onboard graphics
>     processor on CPU cope

Just get the recommended nvidia card, with a heatsink ideally.

>     4. Will this set-up be quiet enough for the living room.

Depends how much you spend... quality cooling costs money :(   Big slow
fans run quieter than small high-RPM fans.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/