[mythtvnz] HTPC Configuration for combined front/back end

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 01:23:02 GMT 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Alex Marshall <alexmnz at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Hi Thanks for all your responses to my first ever post. Very helpful.
>
> I am looking at hardware configuration now. So for a combined front/back
> end running MythTV and potentially MythWeb in the future.
> TV recording and watching only and must do HD to my Panasonic Vierra
> through HDMI.
>
> Case:  Antec New Solution NSK 4000-B II Mid Tower Case, Black/Silver
> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Motherboard, Socket AM3+, AMD 760G,
> 2xDDR3, 1xPCIe-16, 1xPCIe-1, VGA, DVI, RAID, M-ATX
> CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6 GHz, Socket FM2, Trinity

More than sufficient I would say, you need next to no processing power
except if you are (a) transcoding (b) commflagging or (c) relying on your
CPU for playback. Personally I would go for a celeron or similar or the AMD
equivalent and buy a fanless GT610 nvidia graphics card. CPU choice will of
course affect motherboard too.

> Hard drive: Western Digital Green WD20EZRX Hard Disk Drive, 2000GB,
> 5400-7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA 6 Gb/s

You will never have enough disk capacity and although you could start with
1TB to save $, you'll regret it if (like me) you don't like deleting stuff.

> Memory:  G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL, 2x2GB, DDR3-1600,
> PC3-12800, CL9, DIMM

2GB is more than sufficient

> Keyboard:  Logitech Desktop MK120 Keyboard & Mouse, USB, Black

I know  keyboards are cheap but you don't need one, or a mouse, except with
initial setup. Beg or borrow from another PC then disconnect and forget.

> Power supply: Silverstone Strider Essential ST40F-ES, 400W ATX PSU, Active
> PFC, Black
> TV Tuner:   Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2210
> TV Tuner Card 2: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1110

Ditch those and get a HDHR from Hadley.

you forgot a remote, spend US$15 for a sapphire
http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/