[mythtvnz] Software LNB alignment aid

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri May 3 07:16:23 BST 2013

On Fri, 3 May 2013 15:43:04 +1200, you wrote:

>My recent problems with TeVii S421 cards only tuning one transponder was fixed
>by installing a new LNB. The S421 seems to be quite sensitive to slight
>misalignments of the dish or LNB skew, so I wrote a Python program that
>displays the monitor output from dvbtune as bar graphs plus status indicators.
>The dvbtune output is piped over the wireless LAN to a netbook, where the
>Python program displays the result. I can then hold and view the netbook while
>perched up a ladder adjusting my dish. If anyone thinks they might benefit from
>it, I'll post it up somewhere. It needs a minor patch to dvbtune, so you have
>to install the source for that too.

That is interesting - I have a problem where my S470 is tuning all my
transponders (Freeview and Sky) except the lowest frequency one (Sky
DVB-S2 on 12267 MHz).  My TBS tuner has no problem with any or the
transponders.  The frequency of that transponder after LNB subtraction
is 1,517,000 Hz, which is well within specifications for the S470's
tuning range of 950-2150 MHz.  I emailed TeVii to see if they had any
ideas, but have not got any response at all.  The LyngSat site does
not list any transponders on Optus D1 with a lower frequency that I
could try.

So now I am wondering if my problem might be related to yours - maybe
my LNB is maladjusted and the levels are too low at that frequency for
the S470 to lock in.  I do know that my Sky dish installers were not
the careful sort - they just banged it all in as fast as they could.
Apparently, they are paid a fixed fee per dish, regardless of how
difficult the install is.