[mythtvnz] Integrating epgsnoop and mhegepgsnoop

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:31:31 GMT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> You do realise that the epg.org.nz download has had extra processing
> done to it?  It has had xmltv-proc-nz run on it, which fetches json
> data from epg.org.nz to do various fixups, such as rename misspellings
> that commonly happen in the epg data.  And I think it is also where
> the overnight BBC epg for TV1 gets added, by downloading the data from
> the BBC web site.  So you really should be doing that to your
> mhegepgsnoop and Sky data also. But if you do, then you will still
> need the epg.org.nz site for it to work.

Only if you need the massaging that epg.org.nz does. And even if you do
need/want it, you're a lot less vulnerable if you're only relying on the
site for the massaging. Losing the massaging because the site is down is a
lot less of a problem than losing the all the EPG data.

BTW Why do you need to combine the DVB-T and Sky data?  Don't you need
> to have two different sources defined in MythTV and get the epg
> separately for each?  That is what I found I had to do to make it work
> properly.

You should have separate sources defined but you should load the same data
for both sources if they have common channels. Otherwise differences in the
data can prevent the scheduler from shifting recordings from one source to
the other. So theoretically you should either combine your separately
sourced EPG data into a single xml file and load that against both sources
or you should pick one EPG data source to be the definitive one for common
channels and load that data into all sources after you've loaded the
source-specific data, i.e. load the Sky data first against the Sky source
and then load the Freeview data against both Sky and Freeview sources - it
should update any conflicting data for common channels so that it is
consistent in both sources.

Probably 99% of the time it won't matter, so it might not be worth worrying
about though.

Cheers,