[mythtvnz] What is the best MythTV distribution to use?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 00:34:55 BST 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Just for the record, I did NOT write that!
> >

> Ooops.  My mistake.  Sorry.
>
> On 11/08/13 19:48, Chris Bannister wrote:  [Truely!]
> > If that does work, then the wiki will need to be changed. But ...
> > you'd think there would be more people noticing this? IOW, are you
> > sure you are doing everything correctly?
>
> Not sure at all.  Have had helpful advice on another list.
>         [snip]
>

> > This is quickly becoming off topic for this list. You should take up
> > any further issues on the approprate forum/channel or whatever for
> > the linhes project.
>
> Yes, it is of topic.  If I get a successful result I will post it here
> for the benefit o the search engines though.  But I'll refrain from
> weeping tears on this list about anything not directly related to MythTV.
>
> On 12/08/13 09:28, Nick Rout wrote:
>
> > I don't know why you are getting so much grief. I installed mythbuntu
> > 12.04 on two machines yesterday (to replace 10.04). Admittedly I was
> > making a frontend only, but it was all pretty easy.
>
> My grief came from two sources.  One a complete mystery (as yet) and the
> other a partial mystery.
>
> (1) Is that mythtv-setup fails to detect my DVB devices after some time.
>  This does not seem to effect mythbackend.  On the face of it this makes
> no sense and I will keep looking into it.  There is a possibility that
> my device is faulty.  BTW it is: ID 2040:7070 Hauppauge Nova-T Stick 3
> (from lsusb)

Pass, this is one reason I love my HD Homeruns, no driver hassle!

> (2) I made an error in my reinstalls.  I neglected to account for the
> fact that a USB stick is writeable and (for some reason, possibly a good
> one) the installer writes information to the stick during the install.
> Some of this information was unhelpful, and doing precisely the same
> actions (formatting the disc each time) gave different results.

USB bootables have an option to make a "persisitent" partition that will
allow you to save settings, so you get a sane environment when you boot -
your own email address, your bookmarks etc. I guess this is what you are
striking.

Personally I used netbooting to make my mythbuntu 12.04 bootable and did
NOT tick the "make a persistent area" or whatever the option is. Besides,
all I did was boot, install, reboot.

> Formatting the USB stick between installs solved that problem.  I have
> "grown up" using CDs to do installs so was blindsided by this, and
> despite the evidence in front of me (options preserved between installs)
> I did not recognise the need to reformat USB stick.  But what that
> information was, that caused the database errors, is mysterious.
>

> > I see from one of your posts a suggestion that you were using
> > localhost for your connection. Simply don't, particularly when I see
> >  reference to getting remote machines to work.
>
> I was not.  For the last install I used the default values and changed
> as little as possible (as I was defensive).  The default is 127.0.0.1.
> I agree that using a static IP that addresses the machine from the
> network is the way to go.  To that end I filed a bug (1211089) that
> there is no option to set a static IP during install.

My backend gets it's IP address from DHCP but the DHCP server is set to
give it the same address every time.

I think what you need to do to get it all working on the proper IP is

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

and possibly

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common