[mythtvnz] What is the best MythTV distribution to use?

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 23:47:30 BST 2013

> Just for the record, I did NOT write that!

Ooops.  My mistake.  Sorry.

On 11/08/13 19:48, Chris Bannister wrote:  [Truely!]
> If that does work, then the wiki will need to be changed. But ...
> you'd think there would be more people noticing this? IOW, are you
> sure you are doing everything correctly?

Not sure at all.  Have had helpful advice on another list.
	[snip]

> This is quickly becoming off topic for this list. You should take up
> any further issues on the approprate forum/channel or whatever for
> the linhes project.

Yes, it is of topic.  If I get a successful result I will post it here
for the benefit o the search engines though.  But I'll refrain from
weeping tears on this list about anything not directly related to MythTV.

On 12/08/13 09:28, Nick Rout wrote:

> I don't know why you are getting so much grief. I installed mythbuntu
> 12.04 on two machines yesterday (to replace 10.04). Admittedly I was
> making a frontend only, but it was all pretty easy.

My grief came from two sources.  One a complete mystery (as yet) and the
other a partial mystery.

(1) Is that mythtv-setup fails to detect my DVB devices after some time.
 This does not seem to effect mythbackend.  On the face of it this makes
no sense and I will keep looking into it.  There is a possibility that
my device is faulty.  BTW it is: ID 2040:7070 Hauppauge Nova-T Stick 3
(from lsusb)

(2) I made an error in my reinstalls.  I neglected to account for the
fact that a USB stick is writeable and (for some reason, possibly a good
one) the installer writes information to the stick during the install.
Some of this information was unhelpful, and doing precisely the same
actions (formatting the disc each time) gave different results.
Formatting the USB stick between installs solved that problem.  I have
"grown up" using CDs to do installs so was blindsided by this, and
despite the evidence in front of me (options preserved between installs)
I did not recognise the need to reformat USB stick.  But what that
information was, that caused the database errors, is mysterious.

> I see from one of your posts a suggestion that you were using
> localhost for your connection. Simply don't, particularly when I see
>  reference to getting remote machines to work.

I was not.  For the last install I used the default values and changed
as little as possible (as I was defensive).  The default is 127.0.0.1.
I agree that using a static IP that addresses the machine from the
network is the way to go.  To that end I filed a bug (1211089) that
there is no option to set a static IP during install.

> As far as your DVB-T driver is concerned, check the firmware, in
> particular that linux-firmware-nonfree is installed.

That is god advice.  I will do that.

cheers

"As I went walking I saw a sign there And on the sign it said 'No
Trespassing' But on the other side it didn't say nothing, That side
was made for you and me" – Woody
       worik.stanton at gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804