[mythtvnz] Sky is renumbering its channels on 1-May-2013

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Apr 28 07:52:11 BST 2013

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:13:38 +1200, you wrote:

>On 25/04/13 23:06, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> I now have a script that will do the Sky channel renumbering for me,
>> so if anyone else out there would also would like to use it, I have
>> put a copy of version 0.1 (beta) here:
>>
>>    http://www.jsw.gen.nz/sky-renumber.tgz
>>
>> So that it can be tested thoroughly, this version does not actually
>> change anything in your existing mythconverg database, it just creates
>> a new table channel_copy which is a copy of the existing channel table
>> with all the Sky channel renumbering done to it.
>>
>> Please check it out and get back to me with any bugs you find or
>> changes you would like.  In particular, I have no idea how anyone else
>> has their channels set up so if you want the script to directly
>> support your setup, please let me know what you need.
>>
>> And can someone please make sure that I do not have any errors in the
>> matching of old and new channel numbers.  Yes, I know it takes ages to
>> go through all the channels and check the matching - I have just done
>> that.  But if I have done something wrong and it does not get picked
>> up...
>>
>I was planning to just edit the channel config in MythSetup or maybe via
>MythWeb.

That will take a long time - there are lots of channels!  You might
like to try my script first and see if you can avoid doing all that.
Are you using an irblaster to change channels on your Sky box?  How
does your channel changing script work?  Where does it get the correct
Sky channel number from?  If I know how yours works, I can make my
script have an option to do the right thing for you.

>I'm running Hads' epgsnoop via a cron job to pull down the Sky EPG.
>Will I need to change the channels.conf.sky file to cope with the
>channel renumbering?

No, but you will need to add a few more channels to it.  I am planning
on generating a new Sky version of channels.conf from the database I
have built so that I can be sure that it includes all the channels.

>The comment in the channels.conf.sky file says the channel number is not
>currently used but just thought I'd check withe the experts.

No, it is not used.

>There's a couple of new channels I'd like to grab.  What's the best way
>of doing this?

Grab a copy of the new channels.conf file I am going to post soon.
Then manually add the channel to your channels using mythtv-setup or
mythweb.  Or, as I do, directly via SQL, if you are up to that.

>Is the channel_id field in the file internal to epgsnoop or is it some
>form of ID# from Sky?

It looks as though it is used as an index number for the channel in
the table epgsnoop builds from the file - as long as all the channel
id values are unique, there should not be a problem.  When I generate
my new channels.conf file, I was going to use the chanid value in the
MythTV channel table for this, as it is a primary index and is
therefore guaranteed to be unique.