[mythtvnz] Sky is renumbering its channels on 1-May-2013

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Apr 28 10:22:46 BST 2013

>>Is the channel_id field in the file internal to epgsnoop or is it some
>>form of ID# from Sky?
>
>It looks as though it is used as an index number for the channel in
>the table epgsnoop builds from the file - as long as all the channel
>id values are unique, there should not be a problem.  When I generate
>my new channels.conf file, I was going to use the chanid value in the
>MythTV channel table for this, as it is a primary index and is
>therefore guaranteed to be unique.

It looks like I am wrong about the CHANNEL_ID field.  It seems to be
the service id value that identifies a channel's stream in the data
broadcast on a multiplex.  The value is unique on DVB-T and unique on
DVB-S/S2, but not between DVB-T and DVB-S/S2.

I have made a go at creating a script that creates a new
channels.conf.sky file for epgsnoop.  This is using the data from my
current channel table and from the scan_s2_channels database that I
build from the scanning the satellite and DVB-T multiplexes.  I have
put a copy here:

  http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/channels.conf.sky

The channel data is as I have it in my channels database.  The xmltvid
and icon values for new channels I have added to the database are ones
I have invented.  For channels in the old channels.conf.sky file, the
data should be as it is in there.

The channel numbers in this file are for the current Sky channels - I
can easily make one with the new channel numbers when they change.

Should anyone be interested in using this file, please check it
thoroughly first, as I have not tested it yet.