[mythtvnz] TeVii S421

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 13 15:15:07 BST 2013

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 21:55:45 +1200, you wrote:

>Thanks Neil and Stephen for your helpful hints.
>
>On Friday 12 April 2013 Neil Henwood wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 03:46:03PM +1200, Austin wrote:
>> > Still no joy with my TeVii S421 DVB-S card. Anybody at all out there
>> > got one running?
>>
>> What comes up in dmesg or lsusb, or /dev/dvb ?
>
>dmesg: see http://pastebin.com/RbHSkE9r
>
>$ lsusb
>Bus 005 Device 002: ID 9022:d421 TeVii Technology Ltd.
>Bus 004 Device 002: ID 9022:d421 TeVii Technology Ltd.
>
># ll /dev/dvb
>total 0
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Apr 13 19:26 adapter0
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Apr 13 19:26 adapter1
># ll /dev/dvb/adapter0
>total 0
>crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 0 Apr 13 19:26 demux0
>crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 1 Apr 13 19:26 dvr0
>crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 Apr 13 19:26 frontend0
>crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 Apr 13 19:26 net0
>#
>
>On Friday 12 April 2013 Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> TeVii cards are likely to be supported directly in current kernels.
>
>It turned out that the S421 isn't supported in the 3.2 kernel, but after
>compiling the Liplianin drivers and installing to 3.2, it all came good.
>
>> You should test first with dvbtune.  Here is a little test file to
>> help you get all the parameters right (test-dvb.sh):
>
>Thanks for the script. Here's the result of running it:
>
>dvbtune -f 1706000 -s 22500 -p h -c 0 -tone 0 -m
>frontend: 12FRONTEND DEVICE: : Device or resource busy
>
>I actually have two S421 cards; adaptor 1 gave the same results.
>
>> If that does not work, you will need to post a copy of the kern.log
>> file section for the latest boot so we can have a look at it.  You
>> could put it on pastebin.com.
>
>See dmesg output as above.
>
>In case it's relevant, I have as yet no input feed on the cards, but would
>expect a different error than that - something along the lines of "could not
>find a signal". But maybe I'm wrong...
>
>Cheers,
>Austin.

I am still looking at the dmesg output, but so far I can not see
anything wrong.  I do not see a message about it loading a .fw file
for the S421 cards, but that seems to only happen on a cold boot (from
power off) for my S470, and the output you posted seems to be for a
warm boot.  It is also possible that the firmware is not loaded until
the card is accessed for the first time (by mythbackend or dvbtune),
in which case the .fw loading message will only be in kern.log or
possibly the output of a dmesg command - it will not be in the
dmesg.log file.  So you might like to try a cold boot to see if you
can find a message about the firmware loading.  But even then, not all
drivers actually post a message when they load their firmware.

However, "Device or resource busy" is a message I have seen before -
when I had my TeVii S470 configured as a tuner in the MythTV setup,
but had the configuration there wrong.  That made mythbackend keep
accessing the tuner all the time for some reason, even though I had
told it to not run EIT (capturecard.dvb_eitscan=0) and not to use the
card until it needed it (capturecard.dvb_on_demand=1).  So, was
mythbackend running when you tried dvbtune?  If so, try shutting it
down before running dvbtune and see what happens.

I am trying to remember what I had wrong with my configuration for the
S470 - I think it was the setup for the LNB, and if I remember
correctly, I was never able to correct the setup using the MythTV
setup screens.  Each time I tried changing the setup, it seemed to
work, but when I went back into the setup screens it was back to the
old version.  In the end I had to copy the working setup from my TBS
DVB-S tuner using SQL commands.  But it was a while ago, so my memory
is chancy.

Do you do SQL?  If so, you could try running this SQL command (all on
one line):

select
cardid,videodevice,cardtype,defaultinput,dvb_on_demand,dvb_diseqc_type,diseqcid,dvb_eitscan
from capturecard;

and see which diseqid is assigned to each S421 card (videodevice value
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 or /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0), then run
this:

select * from diseqc_tree where diseqcid=5\G

(replace the 5 with the correct diseqcid value), and check that the
output is the same as this:

       diseqcid: 5
       parentid: NULL
        ordinal: 0
           type: lnb
        subtype: voltage
   switch_ports: 0
 rotor_hi_speed: 0
 rotor_lo_speed: 0
rotor_positions:
 lnb_lof_switch: 0
     lnb_lof_hi: 14350000
     lnb_lof_lo: 10750000
     cmd_repeat: 1
    lnb_pol_inv: 0
        address: 0
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

The above settings presumes that you are using a recent Sky dish with
a 10.075 GHz LNB.  See here for working out what your dish is:

  http://www.legiontv.co.nz/archives/122