[mythtvnz] Version 0.25

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 05:46:06 BST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM, David Moore <dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> On 18/09/12 14:53, Worik Stanton wrote:
>>
>> Friends
>>
>> I have been reading about a lot of troubles people are having with V0.25
>>
>> Has the upgrade from V0.24 gone well for anybody?
>>
>> What are the advantages of V0.25 over V0.24?
>>
>> Is it wise to wait for a later version?
>>
>> cheers
>> Worik
>>
> I only upgraded from 0.23 to 0.25 because of the Prime audio buffer problem.
> I would still be on 0.23 otherwise. I only record DVB-T so I see very little
> benefit in 0.25 and more annoyance than 0.23. Current annoyances:
>
> - Audio/video sync not reliable on TV3. Sometimes need to pause/unpause to
> get sync.
> - Hits to playback when shows end/start recording. Playback pauses and
> resumes. 0.23 never did this. MySQL hogging resources?
> - Hit to playback when I call up the menu.
>
> Nothing fatal but several annoyances I never had before on 0.23.
>
> Honestly can't say what advantages (for what I do) 0.25 has over even 0.23
> let alone 0.24.

>From the 0.25 release notes:

     MythTV Services API - services available for both MythFrontend
and MythBackend
    *CableCard devices such as the SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime and the
Ceton InfiniTV 4 are supported out-of-the-box
    Capable MythNetvision sources can now be controlled via remote(lirc)
    HTTP Live Streaming Capabilities - ability to expose recordings
and videos via the services API
    VAAPI support
    *DirectX Video Acceleration 2 (DXVA2) on Windows (alpha support)
    CEC Capabilities - 2-way communication/control capabilities
between MythTV and capable devices such as TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
    3D support - for Side-by-Side and Top-and-Bottom 3D
    IPv6 support - for mythbackend and mythfrontend (see Enable IPv6)
    HTTP control and query capabilities for MythFrontend (Currently a
Proof of Concept)
    AirTunes/AirPlay support for streaming audio and video from iOS
devices to MythFrontend
    E-AC3, TrueHD, and DTS-HD digital pass-through support
    Hardware Profiler - helps developers understand the user's
hardware landscape and statistics (opt-in) - stats viewable at
http://smolt.mythtv.org
    Initial animation support for MythUI
    *New, robust Microsoft Windows and OS X (including 10.7 "lion")
build scripts / packager

*= not applicable here, or only of use to those on non linux platforms
- the rest is all pretty important or useful.