[mythtvnz] Nvidia GT 220 broken by 304.60 drivers

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 22 02:45:19 BST 2012

Last night, as part of a routine update, the Nvidia 304.60 drivers
were installed on my MythTV box.  Unfortunately, Nvidia seems to have
broken support for my GT 220 card in these drivers.  I managed to find
a way to get it back to using the 304.43 drivers again and that fixed
the problem.  I was using the ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates PPA version of
the Nvidia drivers as the versions in the main Ubuntu 12.04
repositories were broken on the GT 220.  I was able to uninstall the
nvidia-current and nvidia-settings packages and instead install
nvidia-current-updates and nvidia-settings-updates, which appear to
come from the mainstream packages.  So now I am going to have to purge
the PPA versions and fully revert to the mainstream versions, and then
see if I can find out how to lock down the updates so I do not get any
newer versions without being able to test them first.

Since most people will still be using the mainstream packages, which
appear not to have 304.60 yet, you still have time to prevent this
problem before 304.60 comes along.  If you have a GT 220, I would
recommend making sure you do not let any update beyond 304.43 install
until Nvidia fixes this again.

If anyone out there knows how to lock down package versions, please
let me know.  This seems to describe some options:

  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

but I have yet to try anything.