[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 13:18:21 BST 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 06/10/12 21:03, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:29:01PM +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
>>

>>>  In a way this is good - it means I don't have to go and buy a
>>>>

>>> Why would you need to buy a UPS to protect XFS/JFS?
>>>

>> Is that a myth?
>>

> Not at all - UPSs protect important things, and important things run
> filesystems like XFS, JFS, Reiser, extN, etc

Can't say I'd call many of the recordings in my Myth system important
things. The chance of losing data from power outage with either XFS or JFS
is real, but so what? Unless your UPS is heavy-weight enough to keep the
system powered until normal power is restored (and not just keep it going
long enough to shutdown cleanly) the recordings are going to be incomplete
and therefore pretty worthless anyway. How much do you want to shell out to
protect some incomplete recordings?

I've run both XFS and JFS on my Myth system without any problems for nearly
8 years total, including periods where I had heat issues that caused system
lockups as often as once a day. To me, a UPS seems like overkill for a Myth
box so I was curious as to the reasoning that would lead someone to
consider it. The only thing I would worry about is the database, and best
practice is to back that up daily.

Cheers,