[mythtvnz] What settings control programme expiry?

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 17:56:23 GMT 2012

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:33:02 +1300, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:29:03 +1300, you wrote:
>
>> I am tired of programmes I record expiring before I get to watch them.
>>
>> How can I make them expire more slowly?  I assume I should change
>> something on the backend, but where and what?
>>

>> cheers
>> Worik
>
> Programmes will normally not expire at all until you run out of disk
> space (except for LiveTV).  So you probably need to add another drive.
> Check Information Centre->System Status->Machine Status to see how
> much free disk space you have left.
>
> The expire settings are in Mythfrontend Setup->Video->General->General
> (Auto-expire)[page 2].
>
> You can set it to expire by priority, and then assign priorities to
> programmes.  The priorities are the same ones that are used by the
> scheduler, so if you want different scheduler priorities from expire
> priorities, there is a problem.

Alternatively, you can do what I do and delete recordings manually after
you view them which stops the drive filling up and auto expiry won't occur.
In "watch recordings" using the "M" key to access menu change the filter
to "deleted",then "Add to playlist" and "Delete forever"  - you can delete
the entire contents of the "deleted" view in one go.
Recordings go into the "Deleted" view when you use the "D" key while a
recording is selected.

Cheers

Paul