[mythtvnz] mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Sun May 6 06:03:46 BST 2012

On Sun, 06 May 2012 14:02, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 06 May 2012 08:13:59 +1200, you wrote:
> >> The signal levens listed are all on the HVR4000. I can't get the
> >> readings on the TD500, it does not seem to support reading out those
> >> values?

> >I have used femon with the T500 & TD500 over the years..
> >I have found femon works as expected with TD500 84109LF.
> >
> >My TD500 tunes with similar signal levels to T500 but has high
> >intermittent BER errors.
> >This is connected in place of a working T500 on same antenna.
> >The TD500 has never worked correctly but it was free.
> >
> >T500 tuned TV3..femon -H
> >FE: DiBcom 3000MC/P (DVBT)
> >status SCVYL | signal  60% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
> >etc..
> >
> >There are posts on Haupigs site (by company rep) about NZ FreeviewHD
> >high bitrate causing problems & there was an internet rumour about TD500
> >recall (of unsold stock).
> >
> >Brett.
>
> So why does the one in my mother's MythTV box work just fine?  Is it a
> different model from yours?  Hers is ID 2040:8400 on lsusb.  And my
> one also worked just fine when I was using it.  They both gave trouble
> until I fixed the antenna system.
>
> My recollection is that a previous incompatible model was on sale for
> a short while.  That might have been recalled, but it is not the card
> we are talking about which is the current TD-500, ID 2040:8400.  The
> original T-500 also works, it is just the one they made for a short
> time between those that does not.

I dont know if it helps but for comparison here are the details of my
Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500.

tartarus at brora2:~$ sudo lsusb -v
[sudo] password for tartarus:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2040:9950 Hauppauge
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x2040 Hauppauge
  idProduct          0x9950
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Hauppauge
  iProduct                2 WinTV Nova-DT
  iSerial                 3 4031495282
  bNumConfigurations      1

Packaging Description: WinTV Nova-T-500-HD
Package Bar Code: 7 85428 00298 9

This PCI card has 2 tuners -- but has onli 1 antenna input socket
lsusb id: ID 2040:9950 Hauppauge

The only issues I have had with this card have been
	The need to utrn on the LNA
	The need to cold restart to make sure the firmware loads.

I have clear line of sight path to Mt KauKau at a distance of approx 18 - 20
Kms.

I have been able to run this card successfully on a pair of rabbit ears from
this location.

Current Femon stats are:

tartarus at brora2:~$ femon -H -c 10
FE: DiBcom 3000MC/P (DVBT)
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  71% | snr   0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK

Upstairs my TV which uses a homebrew folded dipole made from TV ribbon cable
taped to the back of the TV reports Signal strength 100 BER 0.

Hope this all helps.