[mythtvnz] Programme IDs

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jun 6 02:17:49 BST 2012

> I have just been setting up EPG for the new Freeview DVB-T channel
> ChoiceTV (12).  Since it is only broadcast on DVB-T, there is no EPG
> available from nzepg.org, so I have used mhegepgsnoop.py to get all
> the MHEG5 EPG, extracted the ChoiceTV data, and merged it into the
> downloaded data from nzepg.org.  That all seems to be working OK.  So
> I started to schedule some recordings from ChoiceTV, using the "Record
> at any time on this channel" option.  I was surprised to find that it
> was only scheduling one recording a week for programmes that were
> listed at 3-5 different times during the week.  When I investigated
> further, it seems that all the ChoiceTV programs have an extra EPG
> field "Programme ID", and the scheduler is using that to know that the
> programmes are the same and it should only record one of them.  This
> is a really useful feature, and it seems that the EPG data fetched
> from MHEG5 is therefore of higher quality than that coming from EIT on
> the satellite channels.
>
> Has anyone else noticed any other differences between the EIT and
> MHEG5 data?  Is there anything that the EIT data does better?  Would
> it be a good idea to source all my EPG from MHEG5?

Axially the programme IDs are in the EIT too. Not sure why myth doesn't
collect them. I vaguely recall considering EIT data vs MHEG and I think
I concluded there wasn't anything in the EIT that wasn't in the MHEG
EPG. Or at least nothing useful/important. Could be wrong about that though.

Thanks for the heads up about ChoiceTV. Now to manually enter the
necessary data to get it running. :( No way I'm ever doing a channel
scan in myth again after it rooted my channel setup last time.