[mythtvnz] Programme IDs

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Jun 5 17:29:24 BST 2012

I have just been setting up EPG for the new Freeview DVB-T channel
ChoiceTV (12).  Since it is only broadcast on DVB-T, there is no EPG
available from nzepg.org, so I have used mhegepgsnoop.py to get all
the MHEG5 EPG, extracted the ChoiceTV data, and merged it into the
downloaded data from nzepg.org.  That all seems to be working OK.  So
I started to schedule some recordings from ChoiceTV, using the "Record
at any time on this channel" option.  I was surprised to find that it
was only scheduling one recording a week for programmes that were
listed at 3-5 different times during the week.  When I investigated
further, it seems that all the ChoiceTV programs have an extra EPG
field "Programme ID", and the scheduler is using that to know that the
programmes are the same and it should only record one of them.  This
is a really useful feature, and it seems that the EPG data fetched
from MHEG5 is therefore of higher quality than that coming from EIT on
the satellite channels.

Has anyone else noticed any other differences between the EIT and
MHEG5 data?  Is there anything that the EIT data does better?  Would
it be a good idea to source all my EPG from MHEG5?