[mythtvnz] Default Passwords

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 23:13:27 BST 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM, tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> I've noted a post that contained a my_th_tv password (obfus_cation intended)
> that I'd seen before. A quick Googling confirmed this observation. I had
> assumed that the passwords used by the my_th_tv backend were randomly
> generated however it appears that is not the case. It maybe that they are
> specified per my_th_bu_ntu version, or some other schema? If I am correct
> anyone wishing any degree of security on their my_th_tv box (which I think
> means those who expose it to the web) should change the default password. Is
> this correct?  Can anyone expand on this?

the ubuntu package mythtv-common creates a random password - see the
postinst script. Specifically this line

mythtv_password="$(pwgen -s 8)"

You have the opportunity to override this with your own choice.

Other distros do other things: knoppmyth ran both frontend and backend
as user mythtv with pasword mythtv.

Why the obfuscation? If your mythconverg database is open to the
internet you are extremely foolish.